But Amanwial Samaan also said no interpreter was present at the time and he could not remember using the word “blame”.
Mr Samaan was under cross-examination from KFC’s barrister, Ian Barker QC, in the NSW Supreme Court on Monday at the resumed hearing of his case against the fast food giant.
KFC denies the source of Monika Samaan’s salmonella poisoning was one of its products, a Twister.
It also has submitted there is no sales data to prove a Twister was purchased by Mr Samaan on the afternoon of October 24, 2005 at KFC’s Villawood outlet.
In his evidence, given through an Arabic interpreter in August last year, Mr Samaan said he bought the Twister on that date.
He said he, his wife Hanna, his son Abanou and Monika, who was then seven years old, all fell ill with vomiting and diarrhoea after sharing the Twister.
Monika, who was in a coma for six months and in hospital for seven, is effectively now a quadriplegic and severely brain damaged.
Mr Samaan agreed with Mr Barker that a health official came to his home on November 3, 2005, and asked questions about the way he prepared food and related issues.
Mr Barker asked him if he had told the official, “I blame takeaway barbecued chicken for my family’s illness. I bought two whole barbecued chickens, cut up in quarters, on 19 October from a barbecue chicken shop in Fairfield.”
Mr Samaan replied, through an interpreter, “I can remember saying I had bought the chicken but I can’t remember using the word `blame’.
“There was no interpreter on that day so maybe I did say (it),” he said.
Mr Samaan told the court he did not blame anyone at that point.
The hearing is continuing before Justice Stephen Rothman.